Monday, October 6, 2014

Benefit Cheeky Sweet Spot Box O' Blushes palette review & swatches

I have been wanting to try the Benefit Box O' Powders for a long time now and I'm a total sucker for holiday sets, so I had to jump on the Cheeky Sweet Spot Box O' Blushes palette as soon as I saw it on Sephora's site. The palette contains mini sizes of Dandelion, Bella Bamba, Sugarbomb, Hoola, Coralista, Rockateur, and Watt's Up and is packaged in a tin that looks like it should have stale gingerbread in it. I bought mine at Sephora for $36 and the kit includes 1.08 oz of product.

Value
Let's jump in on the biggest pro of this palette - value. As someone who didn't previously own any of the products included, I am impressed by the price. For a little more than the price of a full size Benefit blush, you can try 7 different products. Even so, the story gets better when you bring in number crunching:
The table above shows ounces of product included, the retail price, and the price per ounce for both the full size product and the Cheeky Sweet Spot palette. Each of the powders included contains a little more than half of the product compared to a full size powder, which creates major value as you are paying about $5 for each included product. The only detractor to value, from a price per ounce perspective, is Watts Up. Overall  (feel free to check my arithmetic) the value of this palette is $113 - well worth the price tag.

Packaging



 As with most Benefit products, the clear downside here is in packaging. The tin case is housed in a cardboard sleeve that matches the motif. On the inside of the tin, you get a booklet and a plastic overlay with shade names printed on it. I photographed the palette with my trusty Urban Decay Naked Basics for scale.

This packaging is going to be polarizing - I'm sure some people will appreciate it, but I'm betting those people already like the Benefit aesthetic and currently own some of their powders. I find the faux vintage holiday design to be tacky and campy and the bulk of the tin prohibitive for storage and travel. For me, the most offensive aspect of the packaging is the peaked triangle roof, which adds to the size for absolutely no reason. The cubby for Watts Up is also ridiculously sized, making it impossible to open the lid of the clamshell without manhandling the palette.

Products
The Cheeky Sweet Spot Box O' Blushes palette is new to me, so I can't offer any review on the formula. As a comparison to the pan size, I photographed the palette next to a MAC blush and a NARS blush.


Swatches
Swatches were done with my finger on bare, unprimed skin. As I play with this palette more going forward, I will likely go back and do comparison swatches with other cheek products in my collection. (Update: I now have comparison swatches with other products from my collection here)

From left to right, Benefit Dandelion, Bella Bamba, Sugarbomb, Hoola, Coralista, Rockateur, and Watts Up

Overall, I am impressed with the value of this palette and am excited to take it for a spin! This is definitely worth checking out for someone who is new to Benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...