Today's brush review is the Chikuhodo Z-5 100% gray squirrel large eyeshadow brush. As you would expect from the name, the Z-5 is from Chikuhodo's Z series, known for its high quality squirrel hair and shiny black ferrules and handles. The brush also bears the phrase "by Tesshyu", in acknowledgement of Chikuhodo Chairmain Tesshu Takmori. Tesshu Takmori is one of the most well known brush artisans globally and was the founder of Chikuhodo Co, ltd. You can read more about him and the history of Chikuhodo on their website and in this New York Times profile.
I purchased my Z-5 from CD Japan for about $33 (4,000 yen + 320 yen tax in Japan), but prices will vary based on retailer and current currency exchange to yen. You can also purchase the Chikuhodo Z-5 from Beautylish ($44) and Visage USA ($43).
- 100% Gray Squirrel, extremely soft and supple
- Full length: 135mm (short handle)
- Hair length: 16mm, hair thickness approx. 6mm
- Ferrule width approx. 15mm
- Large oval brush head footprint with rounded tips and a gentle taper
- Excellent quality construction - I have used this almost daily for 3 months and washed it several times with no change to the shape and no shedding