Tarte Rainforest of the Sea is supposed to be a 12 hour lightweight, water based, full coverage formula with SPF 15. When the new lightest shade Porcelain came out, I was excited to give it a try. I usually try to get foundation samples at Sephora because my skin is sensitive and acne prone, but the dropper format is unhygenic for getting samples.
After trying it for the past few weeks, it is definitely a lightweight fluid, but I don't think it is full coverage. I would rate it a light-medium coverage - building serious coverage would require quite a few layers. I get light coverage with one dropper and medium with three. I could see someone using up 5-6 droppers full of foundation to get maximum possible coverage with this one. The dropper system gets messy, so I wouldn't advise traveling with this.
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, shade 2
- L'Oreal True Match foundation, shade N1 Soft Ivory neutral
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea foundation, shade Porcelain
- NARS Sheer Glow foundation, shade Siberia
- Giorgio Armani Power Fabric foundation, shade 1
- It Cosmetics CC Cream, shade Fair
- SKIN79 Green BB cream (Skin79 BB cream in the green bottle is much lighter than the VIP Gold, Original, Diamond or Hot Pink)
- Urban Decay Naked Skin concealer, shade Fair Neutral
As always, no editing of any kind. I think foundation reviews should show what skin actually looks like to give you an accurate idea of what the product could do for you. I took these in natural light standing in front of a window. Feel free to zoom in :)
Before 1: Bare skin. I moisturized with the Clinique DDMG, a gel moisturizer that sinks in quickly and doesn't leave the skin feeling tacky. No primer, no sunscreen.
After 1: Tarte rainforest of the sea in porcelain (the lightest shade) 2 thin layers. For each layer I patted in a thin amount of product with my fingers and then blended with a damp real techniques sponge. No powder, concealer, or any other products used. I see a big improvement with general tone correction - look at the area beside my nose and jaw. This foundation leaves a matte finish, but my skin doesn't look dead or flat. It would look more natural if I had used a more emollient moisturizer or a hydrating primer.