Sunday, June 28, 2015

It Cosmetics your lips but better waterproof lip liner stain - comparison swatches

L to R: It Cosmetics YLBB lip liner Buff Nude, Blushing Nude, Pretty In Pink, Perfect Red, Romantic Rose, Cherry Flush

I have had my eye on the It Cosmetics your lips but better (YLBB) waterproof stain lip liners for awhile - the idea of a staining lip liner is really interesting. I swatched all 6 shades my Ulta carries to compare the colors and test the staining and waterproof claims. For some reason, the 7th shade, Spicy Nude, doesn't have a spot in the store display. It Cosmetics lip liners retail for $20 for .017 oz of product.

Swatches

The swatches in the top photo were taken in direct natural light, the bottom swatches were taken in indirect natural light. Swatches were done straight from the pencil with no primer. The formula seems as advertised - all of the shades seemed to glide on the hand and felt hydrating and creamy. I only had these on my hand for about 30 minutes, so I can't pass a verdict on the waterproof claim.

L to R: It Cosmetics YLBB lip liner Buff Nude, Blushing Nude, Pretty In Pink, Perfect Red, Romantic Rose, Cherry Flush
  • Buff Nude (Light/Medium) - cream finish peachy caramel nude
  • Blushing Nude - cream finish pinky caramel nude
  • Pretty In Pink - cream finish warm medium bright pink
  • Perfect Red - cream finish warm red
  • Romantic Rose - cream finish muted mauve rose
  • Cherry Flush - cream finish brightened warm cherry
  • Not Pictured: Spicy Nude (Tan/Rich) - based on swatches online, this one looks darker than buff nude, but my Ulta doesn't carry this shade
For a range of 7 lip liners, the shade range isn't very large. Buff Nude and Blushing Nude are both very similar, as are Perfect Red and Cherry Flush. I wish the line included a cooler toned pink, a deeper cool red, and a berry or purple.

Stain Swatches

I let the lip liner swatches sit on my hand for about 30 minutes and then rubbed them off aggressively with a paper napkin. As you can see, not all of the shades stained evenly or well. I was particularly surprised with Perfect Red, as bright reds usually stain well. I was also surprised to see how poorly Blushing Nude stained compared to Buff Nude, as the shades are very similar swatched. All of the stains seemed to settle into the lines of my hand a little bit.

 L to R: It Cosmetics YLBB lip liner Buff Nude, Blushing Nude, Pretty In Pink, Perfect Red, Romantic Rose, Cherry Flush

Overall, after swatching all of the shades, I am interested in trying one to see how it wears. I am thinking about Cherry Flush and Buff Nude in particular, we'll see what I choose next time Ulta has a 20% off prestige coupon.

If you are interested in more affordable lip liner options, I swatched my 3 favorite neutral drugstore MLBB lip liners here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...