Let's start out with what I thought I was buying - a longwear gloss formula with no shimmer. It turns out that "matte gloss" doesn't mean what I thought it meant! The L'Oreal pro matte gloss is a demi matte liquid lipstick formula and is not at all glossy and not really long wearing. I bought mine from Ulta in shade #316, statement nude.
Lip swatches and my thoughts on the formula below:
I like seeing a picture of a reviewer's bare lips along with lip swatches, so here are my bare lips.
I applied straight from the wand, no lip primer, lip liner, or lip brush. I like testing out products as they were designed and advertised.
- Even, opaque color
- The teardrop shaped applicator works really well and was easy to use
- A thin lotion like texture that starts out creamy and then dries to a satin finish and wears down to a soft matte finish. Not at all sticky.
- An odd tingly feeling, almost like a plumping ingredient. It wasn't super strong, but it was noticeable.
- The classic L'Oreal lip product scent. Thankfully it didn't linger too long!
Swatches - #316 Statement Nude
Swipe straight from the applicator on the left, blended in with the applicator on the right to show a sheer application.
- Beautiful shade and nice shade range
- Wears off evenly
- Reasonable price
- Lightweight texture
- Icky L'Oreal scent (but it doesn't linger, so maybe not a big deal)
- Odd tingly sensation when freshly applied (if you like tingly plumping lip products, this might be a pro)
- Irritated my dry/sensitive lips. The next morning I got a little peeling despite using the Jack Black lip balm overnight.
- Stupid name - I thought I was buying a lip gloss without shimmer? Who even knows what a "matte gloss" is? It certainly wasn't glossy and it also wasn't matte for the first hour? I wonder how many other people bought this not knowing what it was.
Have you tried these? What did you think?