Wednesday, September 17, 2014

NYX Eyeshadow Primer Base 03 Skin Tone review & swatches

NYX Eyeshadow Base in #3 Skin Tone (ESB03) was one of the first products I purchased when I started looking for eyeshadow bases / primers that would even out my lid color and mask visible veins. NYX Eyeshadow Base is an emollient cream base product that promises to act as a primer and concealer for your lids in one. The product also comes in two other color options - white (01) and white pearl (02). I bought mine for $6.99 at Ulta.

Skin Tone is the type of product name that makes me rage a little inside - "skin tone" is not one color! (This shade is likely a good match for light to medium skin) I apply this by patting a little bit of product onto my lids and it blends into my fair skintone well with a sheer application, but I don't think the shade is as important when used as a true base shadow because you will be layering product on top of it.

I have mixed feelings about this product so let's break it down into a good ol' pros and cons list:

Pros:
1. The yellow leaning beige shade does help mask discoloration and veins in my eyelids, which helps me look more awake
2. This is the most emollient eyeshadow base I have ever tried
3. Price - NYX is a great affordable brand for trying out new types of products

Cons:
1. The formula is so emollient that it feels greasy and is prone to creasing.
2. Pots like this are not hygienic and can get gross pretty quickly!
3. Not a great primer, but an okay color correcting base

Swatches:

Swatches done over bare, unprimed skin with my finger.

The bottom line
is that NYX Eyeshadow Base is not for everyone - the uniquely emollient formula may be a blessing or a curse. I would not recommend for anyone with oily or normal lids and would encourage those with dry eyelids to consider it. I hope this review helped you decide if this product might be for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...