Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bare Minerals 5 in 1 BB Cream Shadow Candlelit Peach review & swatches

Let's get this off the table right away - the name of this product is ridiculous. "Bare Minerals 5 in 1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow" Seriously, they jumped on that BB bandwagon hard. Okay, let's move past that. The new Bare Minerals cream shadow is supposed to be a longwearing primer cream shadow, similar in claims to a Mac Paint Pot but in a more liquid form. I have shade Candlelit Peach, which came in the Bare Minerals Multi Tasking Stars kit (review here) and is sold on the Bare Minerals site. This product retails for $18 for a .1 ounce tube.


Shade
Candlelit peach is very accurately named. The shade is a warm toned creamy peach with a matte base and a little shimmer. The product doesn't have a pearl effect or any luminescence in the base formula, but has an odd spattering of shimmer particles suspended in a flat matte base. From a distance, the shimmer doesn't appear unless it hits the light and it shows as a satin finish. Up close, however, the sparkle particles are apparent.



Packaging
Bare Minerals 5 in 1 cream shadow comes in a tube that resembles a squat lipgloss. The product comes with a flat doe foot type applicator. The bottom part of the tube is frosted and allows you to see the color through the tube. The packaging is just fine, but nothing special.

Formula

This cream shadow has quite a few claims attached. Let's break down the marketing - the Bare Minerals website claims that this product has 5 benefits:
  • 12-hour long-wearing color
  • Supercharged primer
  • Powerful brightening benefits
  • Smoothes the appearance of fine lines
  • Protects with Broad Spectrum SPF 15

1. 12 hour wear - Not by itself, nope. 6-8 hours is more realistic on my normal lids. Those with very dry eyelids may be able to get longer wear time.

2. Supercharged primer - Nope. This is the biggest miss on the list of claims - you need to use this with a primer if you expect to wear it all day without going to crease city.

3. Brightening - Yes. I do find the opacity and shade of peach really nice for masking the discoloration and veins in my eyelids. I find peachy color correctors great for blue-purple discoloration, but those benefits aren't unique to this product.

4. Smoothes fine lines - No. I don't have a lot of fine lines around my eyelid, but I didn't notice any smoothing.

5. SPF 15 - Yes, it does have SPF. I don't know why I need specific eyelid SPF protection, but it doesn't hurt.

Overall, the formula is creamy and pretty thick. I find it more viscous and less emollient than a Maybelline Color Tattoo or Mac Paint Pot. I do find this cream shadow to be pigmented and opaque with very little product.

Application

This product only works for me when I use my finger to apply in a patting motion. I have had terrible luck with it pulling funny and having blending issues when I use it with a brush or any type of sweeping motion. I apply this over a primer (NARS Smudgeproof Pro Prime Primer) for all day wear. Candlelit Peach is very opaque, so I apply too much if I use the applicator. I swipe the applicator on the back of my hand and then pat the product onto my lids gently.

Swatches



Swatched over bare, unprimed skin. This product dries warmer and darker than it initially appears.

My verdict: This is a little hit and miss - I will use the shade I have but probably won't buy another. The sparkles in the formula really surprised me and I would use it more often if it was a true matte. I don't like that I have to use it over a primer to get all day wear and that it doesn't work well with a brush, but I love the color correcting benefits with the peachy shade. This is quick to apply and sets quickly, so I really enjoy it for mornings I wake up late and need to look alive quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...