Friday, November 21, 2014

5 Disappointing Products - Recent Makeup Fails

I love reading about other people's disappointing makeup products, especially when the item in question is on my wishlist. The 5 makeup items below were total fails for me, but they might work for you just fine. I bought this all myself and I wish I hadn't.
Let's get started, shall we?


1. NARS Lipgloss in Turkish Delight

This is the old NARS lipgloss formula and was included in a Sephora Favorites lip kit last year. This was the gloss that taught me a lesson in nude pinks - they just don't work for me. On my pigmented lips and against my fair skin, this gloss made me look sick. On top of the color, the formula settled into my lip lines. I tried to make it work in combination with other products, but couldn't muster the effort to wear it regularly.

2. Too Faced Perfect Eyes Eyeliner in Black

Too Faced keeps tossing this eyeliner mini into value sets - most makeup addicts out there probably have one of these rolling around. This isn't the worst black gel pencil eyeliner I have tried, but I can't bring myself to shower it with compliments. The shade is black and the formula is easy to draw on the lid, but it is too emollient for its own good. I get lots of smudging and a full on racoon eye by the end of work. Pass.


3. y.e.t. Fickle Auto Eyebrow pencil in Gray Brown

I'm holding a grudge against this product for poor shade naming. The shade "Gray Brown" is in fact.... a warm auburn red brown. The oval tip of the retractable pencil decent to work with and the spoolie on the end of the pencil is nice, but this color is way too warm for me to work with. If they came out with a true cool toned medium brown shade, I would try the formula out again.

4. NYX Extra Creamy Round Lipstick in Pumpkin Pie

I have heard so many nice things about NYX extra creamy round lipsticks that I had to try out the formula. The shade Pumpkin Pie is a nude peach and is the wrong color for my pigmented lips and complexion. I found the color payoff to be pigmented enough to make me look sick but not opaque enough for it to look intentional. Plus, the creamy formula didn't last on my lips. I won't be trying any more of this formula.

5. Hard Candy Glamoflauge Heavy Duty Concealer in Light

I bought this in desperation on a day I was facing some serious under eye discoloration, hoping that everything I had heard about the great pigmentation was true. I have had poor luck finding opaque drugstore concealers, and to Glamoflauge's credit, it is pigmented and opaque. Unfortunately, the formula is a nightmare to deal with. The texture of the concealer feels like greasepaint, doesn't blend naturally into the skin, and creases into lines I didn't know I had. Even on my dry skin, the emollient texture was too difficult to work with. The icing on this regretful purchase was that the concealer separated after about two weeks of ownership, leaving me with an oily goo mess.

Swatches

Left to right, Hard Candy Glamoflauge in light, Too Faced Perfect Eyes Eyeliner in Black, y.e.t. Fickle Auto Eyebrow in Gray Brown,  NARS Turkish Delight, and NYX Pumpkin Pie

All swatches done on bare, unprimed skin. See how gross Glamoflauge looks separated? The swatch ran right off my wrist about 30 seconds after this picture was taken.

As always with these types of posts, just because these products didn't work for me doesn't mean they won't work for you! I hope I gave you enough information to be useful on your next shopping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...