Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What I look for in YouTube beauty channels

I was originally going to make this one super long post, but I decided to break it up. Part one, my top 5 current favorite YouTube beauty channels is here. In this post, I am going to share what I look for when I find a new channel to watch.

So what do I look for in a YouTube beauty channel?

1. Smarts.  I want to listen to a well informed articulate voice that has a grasp on ingredient knowledge, the nuance of finishes and textures, and a command of the English language beyond the trite "you guyssss, I'm like obsessed! It's so finely milled!"

2. Sponsorship & Gift Disclosure. Am I really supposed to believe you bought yourself a NuMe hair wand, Whitening Lightning glosses, and a set of Sigma brushes this week? I don't mind vloggers making money from their work, but honest disclosure is everything.

3. Channel Focus. I love makeup channels, and I am okay with the occasional slip into nails or skincare. If I subscribe to your makeup channel, I want to see makeup, not candles, tooth brushing routines, or how to pack shoes in a suitcase.

I am always looking for more interesting beauty channels to subscribe to, but I have found that I am impatient with norm of the beauty "guru" personality. I don't want to listen to someone who blindly follows the zeitgeist and wastes the first three minutes of every video on an empty narrative. I watch vloggers to learn and fine tune application techniques, decide if I want to buy a product, or know if a product performs as promised.

In the Bachelor terminology (shhh I watch bad TV), I want a vlogger who creates content for the right reasons.

TL;DR: Smart, honest, focused ladies & gents rock my world

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...