Monday, May 18, 2015

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer SC-2 [review] [swatches]

Laura Mercier's Secret Camouflage concealer palette is a cult product. I bought it almost a year ago after seeing it recommended by Lisa Eldridge on YouTube. I picked mine up from Sephora, Secret Camouflage retails for $34 for .26 ounces of product.

I selected shade 2 (SC-2), which contains a yellow shade and a peach shade that can be mixed or used separately.




How I use it

Secret Camouflage has a learning curve - the first handful of times I used this concealer after buying, I was thinking about returning it. I apply using my fingers to warm up the product to blend it into my skin. I use both shades together to match my skintone, and I use the yellow separately if I am covering redness or acne. I prefer patting motions to blend this into my skin and build up coverage with thin layers.

Swatches

As always, swatches are on bare, unprimed skin. I built up swatches to their practical maximum to show the color accurately. I highly  recommend using this product in thin layers in actual practice.

I think the shade SC-2 isn't quite right for me, but the shade SC-1 lacked the yellow color correcting shade I was looking for, so I selected the darker SC-2. I mostly use this for color correcting and concealing acne and post acne pigmentation, so I can make it work, but isn't ideal.

 Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer SC-2 swatches: L to R yellow, peach, mixed

 Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer SC-2 swatches: L to R yellow, peach, mixed

Pros
  • Excellent coverage
  • Excellent longevity
  • Very good product for covering acne, pigmentation, and other discoloration
  • Can mix the shades
  • Nice and practical packaging, mirror is functional 
Cons
  • Harder, waxier consistency than many concealers on the market
  • Application takes a little extra TLC (but can look 100% invisible on the skin with practiced application!)
  • Not suitable for dry or crepey under eyes 
  • Shade selection won't work for everyone (SC-2 is a bit dark for me)
Overall, this is a wonderful product for me, but I don't think it would suit everyone. I trusted the coverage and longevity enough to wear it on my wedding day, but I don't reach for it when I am late for work and rushing out the door.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...