Friday, August 22, 2014

Bare Minerals Multi Tasking Stars Kit review & swatches

I admit, I'm a total sucker for value sets. I saw this in Sephora and had to pick it up! The Multi-Tasking Stars kit from Bare Minerals is a limited edition set that sells at Sephora for $49. The set includes:

- A pink neoprene padded bag, 9" x 6.5"
- Natural Light Mineral Veil Finishing Powder, 0.07 oz (mini)
- Lash Domination 10-In-1 Volumizing Mascara in Intense Black (full size)
- Spring2Triple Take Color, Gloss & Stain in Coral Pink, 0.12 oz (exclusive, full size)
- 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow in Candlelit Peach, .1 fl oz (exclusive preview, full size)
- bareMinerals Ready Bronzer in The Skinny Dip & Cheek Tint in The Endless Summer Duo (exclusive, full size compact)

Before this set, I had tried only a few items from Bare Minerals before - their classic mineral foundation and a Ready eyeshadow quad, so I was excited to try out lots of products from the brand! Let's break it down:



1. The Bag

This bag was a pleasant surprise - I usually don't count a makeup bag as a part of a value set because most of them are crap quality. This one has found a place in my life because of the durable fabric and padding. It fits my kindle perfectly and protects it well when I travel! I also appreciate that this bag isn't peppered with a logo.

2. Mineral Veil

I don't have any up close pictures of this because it is a pretty standard color less loose finishing powder. My favorite thing about Mineral Veil is the packaging - it comes with a twist lock on the sifter! I keep this at work in my desk to use as a mid-day touchup powder and the locking sifter is a total lifesaver. I don't get loose powder flying everywhere when I open this, so it is the least messy loose powder I have ever used. The product itself is adequate - I have tried loose powders that are better and some that are worse. It does work well for touchups and mattifies without caking. I will use it up happily, but probably won't repurchase.

3. Lash Domination mascara

I was so excited to try this one out! I never (and I do mean NEVER) leave the house without mascara, and I am always on the hunt for "the one." Quite simply, this isn't it. The double helix spiral shape of the wand leaves some clumps in my lashes and the wand comes out of the tube overloaded with product. If I don't wipe the wand off on a tissue before applying, it will bunch my lashes into groups and overload them with mascara. When I do wipe the wand off on a tissue, the mascara gets 20x better! I get a reasonable amount of length and lots of volume, but not as much definition as I would like. Lash Domination wears all day on me - after 12 hours, I have no smudges, flakes, or transfer to my lids, but I do have some droop in my curl. I will use this up happily, but I won't repurchase because it doesn't perform better than my drugstore favorites.

See a close up photo of the wand in my empties post here.

4. Gloss Stain lipstick

I love trying out new lipsticks, and this one really impressed me. The product has three rings of color and applies like a fresh sheer coral. I love that the product comes off with glossy color and leaves a stain on the lips! I find the opacity to be better than a tinted lip balm, but short of a full on lipstick. This formula is like a mix of the stain from a Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm stain, the Revlon Lip Butters, and a Buxom gloss. Picture the longevity of the Revlon balm stains with the color of the Revlon Lip Butter in Juicy Papaya and the glossy finish of a Buxom gloss, and that is what you get with this product. If you like fresh corals and low maintenance glossy lips, you will love this. The glossy finish is pretty long lasting (about as long as a Buxom gloss), but it does come at the expense of a little bit of stickiness. If you hate all things sticky and prefer matte finishes with opaque pigmentation, skip it. I have loved this color all summer long, and would happily buy more shades in this formula.


5. BB Cream Shadow


Aside from the name (why do people keep making products that have "BB" or "CC" in the title for no reason?!?), this is a nice cream shadow base. The color in this kit, Candlelit Peach, is a light warm toned peach (a little more peach than Mac Painterly paint pot is pink) that dries down to a matte finish with a little bit of sparkle. The cream shadow comes off with a satin texture, which I don't mind. Of course, I would prefer a full on matte finish, but satin works well enough for me. I find that the product applies much better if I pat it into my lids instead of sweep. I get better results using my fingers than a brush. Overall, I get all day wear with no creasing or fading over a primer, so I am happy with this.

Read more in my full review post here.

6. Bronzer & Blush Duo



I have been impressed with Bare Minerals' Ready eyeshadow formula in the past, so I was especially excited to try out their Ready bronzer and blush formulas! The compact is the exact same size as the Ready eyeshadow quads and has the same rubberized black compact with a square mirror. The products are in the same pan, so you have to watch where you tap your brush, but it is very convenient for travel. Both products are reasonably pigmented, smooth in texture, pick up on a brush well, and blend into the skin easily. The bronzer, The Skinny Dip, is a satin finish warm toned bronzer that leans golden instead of orange. On the cheeks, you don't see any shimmer particles, but you are left with a subtle (like Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim subtle) sheen. The blush, The Eternal Summer, is a matte finish orange coral. On the cheeks, it looks light and fresh. Fans of Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso or Etude House Lovely Cookie Blusher in Grapefruit Jelly will love this one. These products are successful alone, but also pair well when worn together. I get all day wear with these, so no complaints! I would happily purchase more cheek products in the Bare Minerals Ready formula.


As a fair skinned bronzer lover, I have to show how The Skinny Dip compares to my two favorite everyday bronzers. The Skinny Dip is deeper and warmer than Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil, and more golden and a hair deeper than NYC Sunny. I use Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil for an everyday natural sculpting effect, The Skinny Dip to add some golden warmth, and NYC Sunny to add a classic bronzed look.

Swatches:


Swatches were done from the applicator / bullet or with my finger over bare, unprimed skin. From left to right, BB Cream Eyeshadow in Candlelit Peach, The Skinny Dip bronzer, The Endless Summer blush, Gloss & Stain in Coral Pink.

Overall, I think this set is a very good value, especially if you are new to Bare Minerals products. For me, the best products here are the bronzer, blush, and the bag, while the mascara and mineral veil are mediocre. I am always happy to find a set that I will use every product included, so this one turned out well for me!

Edit: I see this set on the Sale section of the Sephora website!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...