Friday, December 26, 2014

Review & Swatches of Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks in Sandglow, Rose gold, & Amethyst

My favorite cream eyeshadow formula of 2014 was easily the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Color pencils. I first tried Sandglow, a golden bronze, and was completely smitten. I received a mini in Rosegold as a GWP from Nordstrom (with purchase of my Laura Mercier Artist Portfolio) and bought Amethyst in the Sephora Friends & Family sale. I love all three and plan to keep adding shades to my collection. In particular, right now I am lusting after Khaki, Moonlight, Burnished Bronze, and Cocoa.

When I packed to go home for Christmas, the only eyeshadow I brought was my faithful Wet N Wild single in Brulee and these three Caviar Sticks. For Christmas, I wore Sandglow on my lid with Amethyst in the crease.

Laura Mercier's Caviar Stick Eye Color pencils retail for $28 and contain .05 oz of product.

Left to right: Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks in Sandglow, Rosegold, and Amethyst 

Packaging

Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks come in a twist up (and retractable) pencil format. The caps fit on securely to keep the cream eyeshadow from drying out and the bottom of each pencil shows the color inside. These are thinner than the typical chubby pencil but thicker than the typical eyeliner pencil.

You can apply the product directly to your eyelid from the pencil, but I prefer to use my finger or a synthetic brush.

Left to right: Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks in Sandglow, Rosegold, and Amethyst 

Shades:
  • Sandglow is a subtly shimmery golden bronze
  • Rosegold is a shimmery rose gold nude
  • Amethyst is a subtle satin finish plum taupe 
I typically dislike eyeshadow formulas that contain heavy shimmer, but these are all workable for me. Applied sheerly, the shimmer looks refined instead of glittery or overdone. True to the Laura Mercier brand aesthetic all of these shades are work appropriate and natural looking. While no shimmery or satin finish eyeshadow looks like "no makeup makeup", these are an excellent option for anyone looking for a little shine and something special without going too far.

Formula


All three shades are beautiful worn sheerly and can be built up to full opacity. I find that the formula sets quickly, so you do need to blend fast. The Caviar Stick formula is more emollient and blendable than Maybelline Color Tattoos but less emollient than Mac Paint Pots. Compared to every other cream eyeshadow formula I have tried, including Color Tattoos, Paint Pots, Milani Shadow Eyez, Bare Minerals 5 in 1 BB, and NYX Jumbo Shadow Pencils, the Laura Mercier Caviar Sticks are easier to blend, easier to apply, and more long wearing.

After 10 hours of wear over an eye primer, these Caviar Sticks look just as nice as when they were freshly applied. I regularly get 15 hours of wear from these with no creasing, no fallout, and limited fading. My favorite eye primers of the moment are the NARS Smudgeproof shadow base and the Fergie Wet N Wild eye primer.

Swatches 



Overall, I thoroughly recommend these even though they are pricey. I reach for them often, but especially on days when I know I need to look my best and have my makeup last. I will absolutely be buying more shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...