The free Ulta birthday gift changes quarterly - Q1 was the palette in Indie, Q2 was an Urban Decay eyeliner mini in Voodoo, Q3 is a Urban Decay Perversion mascara mini, and I haven't heard yet what the Q4 gift is. If you know what the Q4 gift is, please leave me a comment and I will update the post!
Indie has five shades: a satin champagne in the center, a satin lilac taupe at 2 o'clock, a chocolate brown with red glitter that swatches suspiciously matte at 4 o'clock, a matte medium brown at 8 o'clock, and a satin rose gold at 10 o'clock. The palette retails for $12, contains 9 grams of eyeshadow, and is free for Ulta rewards members with an email coupon. Unfortunately, you may not choose your complete eye palette - everyone gets Indie.
On a customer service note, this quint was a pain in the ass to get. My Ulta store has iffy customer service and I had to jump through some hoops to get my palette, despite being signed up for Ulta emails and being and Ulta platinum member. By comparison, the Sephora free birthday gift redemption was a seamless process. /rant.
- Satin Champagne, (center) neutral toned champagne, similar to Wet N Wild Reserve Your Cabana but less pigmented, decently soft, a little powdery, average pigmentation. Overall C.
- Satin Lilac Taupe, (2 o'clock), neutral to warm light purple brown, smooth texture, decently soft, okay pigmentation. Overall C+.
- Chocolate Brown with Red Glitter, (4 o'clock), a bizarre cool toned matte brown with red/purple glitter, looks matte when swatched, has glitter fallout, stiff texture, patchy finish, serious blending issues. Overall F.
- Matte Medium Brown, (8 o'clock), warm toned medium matte brown, soft and powdery, hard to blend but not the worst matte brown I have ever used. Overall D.
- Satin Rose Gold, (10 o'clock), warm orange toned rose gold, soft and a little powdery, smooth texure, best pigmentation in the palette. Overall B-.
All of the swatches below were done with my finger on bare, unprimed skin. These photos (in this whole post) have not been color corrected or edited in any way.
Below I have the eye look that I like most from this palette - a simple nude eye that is appropriate for work or school. It is a little brightening and adds warmth, but doesn't detract from anything else you are wearing. I highly recommend wearing an eye primer with these because they are powdery and prone to longevity issues. I also don't really recommend using all of the shadows from this palette at once because they do get muddy on the lids. Unfortunately, the two darker shades that I would like to use for extra definition in the crease are prone to blending issues and aren't very user friendly.
TL;DR : This is the kind of palette you wear to brunch with your Grandma who thinks you wear too much makeup. Don't pay full price for it, but worth redeeming your coupon for.
Ulta's free 3rd quarter birthday gift is a mini of Urban Decay's Perversion mascara, which I reviewed here. Sephora also offers a free birthday gift - the 2015 gift is two NARS mini lip pencils, which I reviewed here. Make sure you pick up your birthday freebies!