Saturday, March 21, 2015

Urban Decay Perversion Mascara - review & lash demo

I adore trying new mascaras, especially free samples that come with online orders. I got a sample of Urban Decay's new Perversion mascara from Sephora awhile back and I have used it for almost three months. Perversion mascara is an extension of Urban Decay's Perversion line that contains pencil, liquid, and gel eyeliner. Apparently Urban Decay needed a break from milking all possible dollars from their Naked line, so they picked another faux scandalous product name to milk. True to the original Perversion eyeliner pencil, this mascara only comes in one shade - advertised as a true dark black.

Perversion mascara retails for $22 for 12ml / .4oz of product. An Urban Decay Perversion mini mascara is also Ulta's free birthday gift for July, August, and September 2015, so if you have a summer birthday you are in luck!


Mascara wands L to R: Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!, Urban Decay Perversion, Clinique High Impact, L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, Maybelline Full N' Soft

Packaging 

The Urban Decay Perversion mascara tube is a metallic pewter grey color. The packaging is just fine, but a bit uninspired. My favorite part of the packaging is the shape of the wand and fullness of the bristles. Perversion has a classic cylinder shaped natural bristle brush and is a medium size. Compared to Maybelline Full N' Soft, the brush is more full, leading to more lash coverage. Two of my favorite ever mascaras, Clinique High Impact and L'Oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, have similar wands to Perversion, but are more elongated and have slightly shorter bristles. Fans of Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes! would probably like Perversion, but the Tarte is less separating and more volumizing due to the bristle distribution.

Lash Before & After

Lash Before (L) and After (R) - Urban Decay Perversion Mascara 

 Lash Before (L) and After (R) - Urban Decay Perversion Mascara 

In both the front and side Perversion before and after demonstrations, my bare uncurled lashes are shown on the left and my lashes are shown with two coats of mascara on the right. I did use a lash comb because I am very intolerant of clumpy lashes and prefer a lot of separation. Perversion is both moderately lengthening and volumizing but excels in neither. I get all day wear without smudging or flaking, but I do get some droop in my curl partway through the day.

Urban Decay Perversion mascara demonstration

Overall, this is a decent to good mascara, but I don't see myself purchasing the full size. For your money, L'Oreal  Voluminous Carbon Black is very similar in formula, wand, and results, so I would recommend the cheaper drugstore alternative.

If your birthday falls in the 3rd quarter, though, you are in luck! Definitely make sure you get your freebie mini from Ulta for your birthday. Sephora also has a free birthday gift - the 2015 gift (all year) is two NARS mini lip pencils, which I have reviewed here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...